Friday, October 16, 2009

Bit 15: Bring on the Manners

Little Life Lesson and Bit of Grace 15: Use your manners.
"Good Manners will open doors that the best education cannot."~Clarence Thomas
As the world grows and the pace of life increases, it seems the worse manners become. Good manners become even more important as this happens and should be practiced daily.
Manners start with respect. When you use manners, others know that you RESPECT them and yourself.
Common courtesies such as holding a door open for someone, saying "please" and "thank you," and allowing an elderly or disabled person to go to the head of the line all make the world a nicer place to live in.
Good manners do not cost anything, and it takes little extra time to practice them.
You've heard the saying "talk the talk, walk the walk." Check your own common courtesy routines and habits in order to help pass them along to others.
People remember manners and as Clarence Thomas said above, they really open doors. It is the smallest gestures that make all the difference to people.
We are afraid to share things with others, but manners will never make you sick and can only make you feel better after you have shared with someone else.
PLEASE go out there, show the world that you "weren't raised in a barn" and use those manners that your mom, dad, grandparents, friends, siblings, neighbors, teachers, aunts and uncles have taught you.
Everyone will THANK YOU!
"A man's manners are a mirror in which he shows his portrait."~JohannWolfgang von Goethe

4 comments:

  1. Very well said! Sometimes I wonder where people's manners went and then I sadly realize maybe they never had any to begin with...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm visiting from Whitney's blog. I completely agree with this post. It starts from childhood too, with children learning how to say, "Yes Ma'am. Thank you. Please." It's so important. I love that Greg still opens the doors for me and I thank him each time, so he knows that I appreciate it. We thank waiters and friends alike. It's polite. It's nice and it makes the world more pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you for sharing this!! Sometimes when I'm using what I'd consider 'regular everyday manners' I get some of the strangest looks & comments. It's so sad that people seem to be losing common courtesies that used to be common place. My dear, sweet husband still opens my car door. Can you believe that? 6+ years of marriage & 2 children later & he opens my door. And no, I don't feel like less of a woman or any less 'powerful' because he does this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Good Will Grace. We appreciate your thoughts and hope to see you soon.

If you are interested in submitting to Good Will Grace for a future post, please email us.