Friday, November 20, 2009

Bit #36: Use Your Imagination

Little Life Lesson and Bit of Grace 36: Don't Leave your Imagination at Home
I stumbled upon this piece by Ellen Phillips in a book entitled 50 Things that Really Matter. We always emphasize on the use of imagination in children, but sometimes I can get lost in my imagination and daydreaming like thoughts.
Dr. Seuss is a classic and wonderful example of someone who used his imagination in his work and sparked a love for reading and imaginative thoughts in children.
Here is the excerpt from Ellen Phillips:
"But Imagination for each of us is about more than physically seeing-it's also about 'seeing' connections between seemingly unconnected things. We may pick up the colors of a favorite scene in the yarns of a sweeater or scarf. (And the peaceful, repetitive nature of knitting is ideal for freeing our minds to imagine other things, too-like an attractive arrangement for next summer's garden or a new recipe for cookies.)
Ultimately, whatever way we use our imagination, we are telling a story. And the more unusual connections we see, the richer and more interesting our creations-our stories will be."
Happy Weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you'll think I'm insane when I say this given that I'm a designer, but I feel like I rarely use my imagination anymore! It's actually HARD for me to do when I play with my kids. Definitely something we adults need to hang on to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy to misplace your imagination... but so important to keep it! It makes life so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by Good Will Grace. We appreciate your thoughts and hope to see you soon.

If you are interested in submitting to Good Will Grace for a future post, please email us.